Don't try to relax. Trying to relax is NOT relaxing, it's working! When you tell yourself, "try to relax," you're actually creating pressure, effort, and therefore, stress. So, allow yourself to relax, let yourself relax. Relaxation is the absence of effort, the absence of pressure. Allow, let go, float on the surface of a crystal-clear lake of stillness.
Learning to relax is remembering your childhood innocence -- the time before illness, pain, work, bills, parenting, errands, chores, and grown-up responsibilities. Watch a young child sleeping, their face calm, peaceful, belly-breathing, effortless. Remember your own innocence.
Everything is okay. It's all going to be fine. Nothing is more important than your health. Let go of the past -- you did your best, it's all over and done. Let go of the future -- life is unfolding and evolving naturally, it will all take care of itself in its own time.
Be here now. Be fully present in this moment. Here and now, everything is all right. Allow yourself to relax. Do nothing. Just be. You are a human being, not a human doing. Let yourself relax. Let go. Be well.
• Accept pain as a message that you are doing something that is out of sync with your natural rhythm, or that you don’t really want to do.
• Make decisions that honor your body's needs.
• Create a new paradigm wherein you don't need pain as an excuse to take it easy and take care of yourself.
• When you help others, let it be from integrity and self-love (serve in a way that respects ahimsa towards yourself, too).
• To relax, you need to NOT do all the other things you could be doing instead (give yourself permission to do less, to REST).
• Don't "try" to relax. You can't MAKE yourself relax. Just let yourself relax.
• Surrender to your Higher Power, and Let Go.