Thursday, October 2, 2008

About Me



I began transforming my mental and physical health in 1989 after an emotional healing crisis. In 1992 I experienced what I later realized was a kundalini awakening, or spiritual emergence. Being unprepared for this transformation, I experienced a series of mental and physical health challenges that led me further along the healer's path. I have been focusing my life on personal growth, holistic health, and spiritual development ever since.

Since 1989, I have studied a wide variety of healing modalities in the quest for self-transformation, including:

Holistic Health:
Hatha Yoga
Nutrition
Herbology
Homeopathy
Ayurveda
Macrobiotics
Vegetarianism & Veganism
Vitamin and Mineral Therapy
Amino Acid Therapy
Health Education
Reflexology
Acupressure
Aromatherapy
Yoga Therapy

Personal Growth:
Psychology
Counseling
Creative Recovery
Writing & Journaling
Art Therapy
Mandala Art
Affirmations
Women's Studies
Visualization

Spiritual Development:
Yoga
Tantra
Meditation
Women's Spirituality
Dianic Wicca & Magic
Sufism
Tarot
Destiny Cards
Numerology
I Ching
Feng Shui
Ecstatic Dance
Kabbalah

I owe so much to the many teachers who have helped me on the healer's path -- Louise Hay, Shakti Gawain, Starhawk, Julia Cameron, Diane Stein, my sweet husband Anandam, Ravi Logan, Yogi Bhajan, Shri Shri Anandamurti, Swami Satchidananda, Nischala Joy Devi, TKV Desikachar, BKS Iyengar, Patanjali, Jnani Chapman, Saraswati Burman, Meg Haycraft, Marilyn Ryan, Kathleen O'Connell Corcoran, and Wahaba Heartsun, to name a few.

The more I have learned, the more I have felt the need to communicate what I have learned to others. My metamorphosis into motherhood in 1993 -- single-parenting a son with autism and later co-parenting two daughters -- has been intensely challenging, educational, humbling, and enormously empowering. Overcoming my innate insecurities, health challenges including chronic pain, manic-depression, anxiety, and fibromyalgia, and the obstacles of single motherhood, I have maintained a daily yoga and health regimen since 1992. I became a certified yoga teacher in 2002 and RYT500 yoga therapist in 2007.

Currently, I am married and raising three children in Eugene, Oregon. Needing to continue prioritizing my health, and wanting to offer what I've learned (and am still learning!) to a wider audience, I've recently retreated from my yoga therapy practice into the meditation of blog-writing.

May you benefit from the stories of my struggles and transformation. May you experience blessings and peace on your dharmic path of transforming your health.

No comments: